Posted to misc.consumers.house,misc.invest.real-estate
MD MD is offline

Default Do I need an attorney? Please advise!

MD wrote:
D. Gerasimatos wrote:
In article . com,
MD wrote:

An attorney goes to college for about 7 years in order to start
practicing his craft. Aunt Gertrude on the other hand takes a 60 hour
course and is a real estate agent.

Her firm wants her to charge $21,000 on a $300K sale and we're arguing
about $500 or less for an attorney to review the documents. Something
is wrong here.

Attorneys have a breadth of knowledge that a real estate broker does not
have. They learn about criminal law, for instance. I wouldn't want my
real estate broker representing me in a criminal trial (even if it was legal).
However, when it comes to real estate transactions, the depth of knowledge
is very similar.

In CA, members of the bar are allowed to become brokers by simply passing the
broker's exam. They do have to take the exam, however. If someone went to law
school but is not a member of the bar then they *still* have to take
two required courses in real estate. Therefore, a legal education in itself is
not necessarily sufficient.

As an aside, to be an attorney in CA one need not have ever graduated from
a law school.

Dimitri

I was referring to a board certified real properlty attorney.

*property*