Posted to alt.home.repair
Tom The Great Tom The Great is offline

Default More wiring questions

On 6 Oct 2006 16:48:25 -0700, "jimbob" wrote:

One thing I see in print a lot is that many codes require 8 inches of
workable wire to extend beyond the face of the electrical box when you
install a switch or outlet. This seems to be a lot and is difficult to
work with especially if you are using 12/2 wiring in a standard size
box. It's a little better with a deeper box, but still seems
excessive.

I was wondering whether current codes require that you actually stuff 8
inches of wire into boxes or whether this is what you leave at the
rough in inspection stage to be trimmed to fit when switches are
actually installed. I am doing some of my own work, but I have had
work done here by a real electrician and he is not stuffing in 8 inches
of wire.

Any thoughts?

I wonder where you are reading the codes? If memory searves me right,
for simple device boxes, it's 6" beyond the sheath/connector and
atleast 3" beyond the opening/edge of the box for free ends.

For me, I typically cut my conductor free ends to about 7-8", since I
like to help the next guy out when he has to replace a device, or I
make a 'mistake'.

Like all NG posts, this isn't a how-to, allways follow all
building/elec/fire codes.

later,

tom

Thanks.