Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Weatherproofing Corrugated Cardboard

Joshua Putnam spake thus:

In article ,
says...

I have some corrugated cardboard
halloween decorations that I would like
to put out on the lawn. Last year, when
they got a little wet, they curled and
"melted" a bit. BTW, las Halloween was
constant rain. Does anyone know of a
way to waterproof the cardboard? The
surface is black colored paper.
Interrnally, it is like any other
corrugated cardboard.

It's pretty easy to do with canning wax and a big paint brush. Melt the
wax in a double-boiler and brush it onto the cardboard slowly so it
soaks in while it's still molten. (The thermal mass of wax in the brush
will keep it hot longer -- if you brush too fast, it will solidify
before it penetrates.) Take extra care on the edges to make sure it
soaks into the center corrugation as well as the outer layers. Then
make a second, faster pass over the edges that will block the
passageways so water can run inside.

Of all this suggestions given, this is the only one that has even a
*chance* of working. I know, because my Halloween project was
practically saturated with paint, and it did *nothing* go prevent it
turning into a soggy mess. But even the wax might not do it.

I guess the only sure way to do this would be to use some kind of
plastic (someone suggested the cardboard-like corrugated stuff).

--
Save the Planet
Kill Yourself

- motto of the Church of Euthanasia (