Posted to alt.home.repair

Default More wiring questions

"jimbob" wrote in message
oups.com...
One thing I see in print a lot is that many codes require 8 inches of
workable wire to extend beyond the face of the electrical box when you
install a switch or outlet. This seems to be a lot and is difficult to
work with especially if you are using 12/2 wiring in a standard size
box. It's a little better with a deeper box, but still seems
excessive.

I was wondering whether current codes require that you actually stuff 8
inches of wire into boxes or whether this is what you leave at the
rough in inspection stage to be trimmed to fit when switches are
actually installed. I am doing some of my own work, but I have had
work done here by a real electrician and he is not stuffing in 8 inches
of wire.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

What Tazz said is right. Even so, if I need a new box for a single switch or
outlet, I still make it a double. I hate tight boxes, and they only get
tighter if you decide to install a dimmer or timer later.