Posted to alt.home.repair
Ken Ken is offline

Default Dishwasher not water tight?

wrote:
Today our almost new dishwasher started gushing water all over the
floor. I raced home from work and that that perhaps the connections
needed tighting. They appeared to be fine. Apparently our disposal was
clogged and so the dishwasher wasn't draining properly. It appears that
when the water got to high it started pouring out of the lower left
corner of the dishwasher door!

Now I thought that these contraptions are supposed to be water tight,
and not leak if they get too full for some reason. I tested my leak
theory be taking the dishwasher out and tilting it a little (as there
was some water still in the tub) and sure enough it seamed to pour
right out of the seams between the door and tub. The rubber gasket is
there (remember this is an almost new machine). WHY in the world did it
leak? I mean it was gushing water everywhere! I can't ask my wife to
always check the disposal before running a load just to make sure its
not stopped up. What should I do? Should I return and exchange it for
another model that is more "water tight"? Any help is greatly
appreciated.

THorin

The water level in the dishwasher should never get too high, because
there is a float level switch that is supposed to turn it off when it
does. You must make sure the water has a place to drain, but it still
should never reach a level where water is too high in the dishwasher.
If the switch is working, the only other way is for it to be siphoning
it back into the dishwasher.