Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan Joseph Meehan is offline

Default Snaking a Clogged Pipe

wrote:
The pipe attached to the basement drain of my 1971-built home is
partially clogged. (If I run a hose for about 10 minutes, the water
starts to back up.) I believe that the drainage pipe needs to be
snaked, but I am afraid that if someone does it improperly, matters
will get worse rather than better. (I suspect that a clogged pipe can
be easily broken). So before I hire someone to do this, I would like
to know what to avoid when the pipe is snaked and how to find a
competent person who will charge me a fair rate. I should add that
there is a silver maple in the front yard where the pipe drains, and I
understand that those types of maples attack pipes vigorously. Any
help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

JD

To tell you the honest hard truth, if you want to fix it you are going
to have someone do some digging.

What happens is the pipe (especially the stuff using at the time your
home was built) was never totally waterproof. The roots follow the water
into the pipe and make the leak larger. You can clean it, but the next time
it will be back sooner.

With the pipe replaced and totally waterproof the tree roots will think
it is a rock and go around it.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit