Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] goldenmike4393@yahoo.com is offline

Default ELECTRIC PANEL

Chris Lewis wrote:
According to :

So, I called my local electric supply that told me they could modify a
$10 clip and get us back up. So, following in your teachings, I lined
up a guy with the $10 clip plus a full panel with breakers ($250) so we
can meet either contingency.

Do you have any suggestions outside of what I have done? I researched
your posts before taking this action.

So I understand: you've lined up an electrician who will install the
clip, and if that doesn't work out, the electrician will swap out the
panel?

This seems reasonable. I'm leery of modifying a piece of _conductor_
that's to be used to carry 200A, but as long as the cross-sectional
area is at least as big as the original, that it fits _properly_, and
preferably intended for a similar purpose in a similar panel (especially
by the same manufacturer), it should be okay. You're relying on the
electricians judgement as to whether it'll be safe - so it'll better
be a _good_ electrician with considerable experience, not a "handyman"
hacker.

More important is to ensure that what happened to the original clip
doesn't repeat - as in, making sure that all the connections are
good and solid, no creeping corrosion etc. If the old panel shows
signs of other damage, it may be wiser to simply replace it.

If, for example, the old panel had considerable corrosion, I'd
replace it - renewing one part at best delays the inevitable,
and at worst keeps a piece of equipment around that'll kill you.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est

Thanks.