Posted to alt.home.repair

Default doing some electrical work

Tom Horne, Electrician spake thus:

David Nebenzahl wrote:

Tazz spake thus:

"Code says you have 2 choices for bathrooms.

#1: You can run a single 20amp circuit to feed the outlets (and only
the outlets) in all bathrooms. In this case you could use 1 gfci in
the first location, and protect the other outlets from it. The
downfall to this is that if you trip a gfci in the downstairs, and you
are in the upstairs bathroom, you have to run downstair to reset it.

Are you sure about this? The needle on my BS meter is twitching here.

It sounds unlikely that the electrical code would allow one to wire an
outlet in a bathroom to be protected by a remote GFCI outlet *in
another room*. I thought all outlets protected by ground-fault
interruptors had to live in the same room as the interruptor.

Having GFCIs located in the same room as any load they protect would be
too much like sense.

210.11 Branch Circuits Required.
Branch circuits for lighting and for appliances, including
motor-operated appliances, shall be provided to supply the loads
computed in accordance with 220.3. In addition, branch circuits shall be
provided for specific loads not covered by 220.3 where required
elsewhere in this Code and for dwelling unit loads as specified in
210.11(C).

(C) Dwelling Units.
(3) Bathroom Branch Circuits. In addition to the number of branch
circuits required by other parts of this section, at least one 20-ampere
branch circuit shall be provided to supply the bathroom receptacle
outlet(s). Such circuits shall have no other outlets.
Exception: Where the 20-ampere circuit supplies a single bathroom,
outlets for other equipment within the same bathroom shall be permitted
to be supplied in accordance with 210.23(A).

Thanks for providing that. But it says nothing about GFCI protection, so
I'm not sure what to make of it. Are you saying that by remaining silent
on the issue, the code is saying it's OK to rope outlets to multiple
bathrooms on one GFCI-protected outlet?

I'm still skeptical, and would never do it that way. But that's just me.

--
Save the Planet
Kill Yourself

- motto of the Church of Euthanasia (http://www.churchofeuthanasia.org/)