Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Rob offers his apologies.

On Fri, 6 Oct 2006 11:08:00 -0500, "Morris Dovey" wrote:

Larry Blanchard (in ) said:

| Morris Dovey wrote:
|
|| It would seem that you've not noticed the rather large number of
|| men and women who valued our principles more highly than their
|| personal survival - and the lesser (but still awesomely large)
|| number who did not, in fact, survive - all so that you and I might
|| live in what you so casually refer to as "fantasyland".
|
| Well said. But to be fair it must be noted that the terrorists are
| also willing to die for their principles - or at least for their
| religion. Ones dedication to a principle does not necessarily
| prove the validity of that principle.

Of course - and yet the very existance of a principle as such
indicates that there is some strong cultural validation. When such a
situation arises, it would seem to me that both sides need to learn
more about the (other's) culture and the context in which that
validation took place.

Well, from their "holy" book, here is the negotiating position that the
Jihadis offer:
In order to avoid future attacks, you can make one of the following 3
choices:
1) Convert to islam. They are will then welcome you as a brother among
themselves.
2) Acknowledge your defeat, pay them the head tax (jizya) and they will
allow you to live in your "false" faith as a second class citizen under
their rule. Be well assured, you will be a second class citizen, subject
to the whim of their faith. The bleating from the left about the "fascist"
Bush is absolutely silly -- these folks are for real. Try finding the
First Baptist Church of Mecca, or Holy Cross Lutheran Church in Medina.
Look at the laws in places like Indonesia and others controlled by these
people.
3) Refuse to bow to their will; they are then free to kill you, anywhere,
anytime.

OK, now, what is your counter-offer? Oh, and just to make it
interesting, realize that lying to "khafirs" (infidels) is not only
accepted and sanctioned, it is advocated in their religious teachings. So,
any agreements or contracts you sign with these people is subject to
revocation at their whim. So, your counter-offer and your decision
regarding the "solemn agreement" they will make with you?

Realize that for the people committing these acts and the countries that
harbor them or are controlled by them, islam is more than just a religion;
it *is* their whole culture and way of life. From enslaving their women in
the hajib and burka to the rejection of all things islam to the way they
treat their criminals. The sharia law is their whole goal and the spread of
islam to the entire world is their raison' de' etre'. Unfortunately,
unlike orthodox Christianity in its evangelism, islam is founded on
spreading by the sword and killing those who fail to convert is absolutely
condoned. [yeah, I know about the inquisition --- that does *not* count as
orthodox Christianity, there was nothing scriptural about that activity].
Take a look at the current islamic rise in France and England; once these
groups get power in small regions to implement sharia, they will spread and
attempt to implement that in larger regions as well. Note that in those
countries, the groups aren't calling for equal rights, they are calling for
extra rights and the ability to live outside of the rest of the cultural
norm.

The silence from the "moderate" muslims condemning these acts is
deafening. While there are a few moderate voices, they are few and far
between and very often accompanied by a whole bunch of "but monkeys". i.e.
"but you have to understand ... " "but you don't realize their ... " etc.

There is a clash of cultures coming, the question is how long are we
going to delay that clash and what will be the penalties for so doing.