Posted to alt.home.repair
Banty Banty is offline

Default What does it take to freeze pipes?

In article , Toller says...

"MLD" wrote in message news:TTsVg.2$HP.0@trndny08...

"Toller" wrote in message
Is there any reference on the internet about temperatures and durations

that
are required to freeze pipes?

Every year I get neurotic when they start having frost advisories about
my
cottage. I know it takes hours to freeze ice cubes at 0 degrees, so it
obviously takes more than a few hours at 30 degrees to freeze pipes; but
some actual data would be nice.

It is a big chore to shut off the water, and then I am without water
until
next Spring.

Other posts have good comments. If you can't or don't want to handle it
yourself then have a plumber do it--at least for the first time. If the
house is left unoccupied and unheated for (I think) 30 days and something
happens you might have an issue with the insurance company. If you're in
an
a location where below 30 is not a frequent occurrence then why not leave
your thermostat at 50 deg or so and have complete peace of mind.
MLD

Well, not having any heat is a good reason to not leave the thermostat at
50.

I know how to winterize the cottage, having done it 10 times. The issue is
when is it necessary to do it.
Will a low temperature of 30 overnight freeze anything. 25? 20?
Seems like a common enough problem that there ought to be some information
available on it.

I've asked this sort of question of plumbers a couple times (once during a
prolonged mid-winter power outage; once when discussing frozen heating pipes),
and both times they said that wind is a big factor, too.

My frozen heating pipe problem occured on the north side of my house, on a windy
mid-winter day.

So the reason I think you're not getting a firm answer is that it depends on a
lot of factors. How exposed are your pipes; how much insulation? What is the
exposure of your house? How much wind do you get. From what direction mostly?

I'd either drain the house the first time there's a projected overnight temp of,
say, 25 degrees (based on what the plumber I called told me during that
prolonged power outage) and be done with it 'till spring, or keep it to 50
degrees all the time. Because, otherwise, it'd always be on the back of my mind
" are my cabin pipes freezing; are my cabin pipes freezing", and life's too
short to go worrying about that sort of stuff IMO.

Is there anyone you know in that neck of the woods? What are their experiences?

Banty