Posted to alt.home.repair
Lar Lar is offline

Default 5-year termite booster treatment?

In article .com,
says...

How long has Termidor been on the market? We had our house done in 1992
by Terminix, but I have no idea what was used. I do remember them
saying that the old "lifetime" stuff had been banned and thus we also
ended up with the yearly insurance policy (but they have never found
termites).

Given the company and year, can you guess what was most likely used and
how effective it is thought to be?

thanks,

John

John,
Termidor came on the market in 2000. Just guessing, with Terminix it
was either Dursban, which took the place of Chlordane and was the most
widely used product at the time....maybe Premise, which was coming into
the market place around then, which until Termidor and Phantom came out
probably was considered the best quality product or a number of the
pyrethroids, some were effective some were worthless. Look under your
kitchen sink and see if there is a sticker that has the name of the
product that was used.

Now the question comes with Terminix, probably any large
company....each branch had a Branch manager who may have different
philosophy's... if the bottom line was his issue, he may have his guys
use the cheapest stuff he could get and if termites showed back up, he
has his pool of hourly guys to remedy the problems as they occurred.
The other scenario with the large national companies is they expand
their termite department during the Spring to take on the craziness of
the termite season. As the season moves into Summer, as the helpers get
more experience, they now may be sent off to do termite jobs with
helpers of their own, thus not being really experienced and not always
being the best employees, many knowing they will be let go when the
termite season slows down. I hear the same things around the country of
being able to buy "black market" termite chemicals from these type of
employees, and I would guess the chemical they sell comes from the
chemical supposed to be used at Mr Jones' house. So it is really hard to
guess of the effectiveness of the work from Terminix and the like. The
best protection you have is to have it routinely inspected every couple
of years.

--
Lar

to email...get rid of the BUGS