Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley m Ransley is offline

Default What does it take to freeze pipes?-What me worry?

Its pretty easy to have a whole house drain at the incomming point,
then open all faucets to drain, drain water heater and just pour in
antifreeze in all traps, I do this often when I leave in only 5 minutes,
install a few 1/4 turn ball valves. Some Heat trace wire on the
incomming pipe through the wall keeps the supply from freezing. Keeping
a house 60f is a waste of money if you are not there. Will your basement
even freeze, I put in an extra large heat vent facing my pipes and open
it when I leave and reduce upstairs registers.