Posted to alt.home.repair
John Ross John Ross is offline

Default 5-year termite booster treatment?

Lar wrote:
In article ,
says...
My annual home termite inspection and "insurance" policy has been costing
$125 per year. This year, now that the house has been standing five years,
the exterminator wants to do a $445 "booster" treatment. I thought the
barrier remains intact for many years until the soil is disturbed, so I
asked why the house would need a booster, and the lady said the barrier has
been breaking down over the five years because of "walking in the yard". Is
the a bona-fide service they are offering?

For a termiticide to be labeled a termiticide it has to go through
Government testing and be effective 100% for at least five years, many
will start to break down after that, but termiticides are applied in the
soil so walking in the yard has no effect on them.
You need to see how the original contract is worded. If you paid for a
5 year warranty only, then their obligation will end then. If it states
it is a year to year renewal after initial then tell them since they are
liable for any activity since it is under contract it would be in THEIR
best interest to perform the booster free if they feel their product is
breaking down. What product was originally used?...if it was Termidor,
it is the only product on the market to go over 8 years at 100%
effectiveness in the Government testing and is now over 12 years at 100%
effectiveness. If termidor was used you should be in good shape for a
number of more years. Different states have different laws but most
protect the consumer. If you choose not to go for the booster I don't
think they can drop your service or increase you rates so high that you
won't continue with the plan.
--
Lar

Lar-

How long has Termidor been on the market? We had our house done in 1992
by Terminix, but I have no idea what was used. I do remember them
saying that the old "lifetime" stuff had been banned and thus we also
ended up with the yearly insurance policy (but they have never found
termites).

Given the company and year, can you guess what was most likely used and
how effective it is thought to be?

thanks,

John