Posted to rec.woodworking
Tim Daneliuk Tim Daneliuk is offline

Default Rob offers his apologies.

wrote:
Robatoy wrote:
RicodJour wrote:
[snipped for brevity]

Strong opinions on
important matters require a different forum for your voice to be heard
and count for something. Otherwise it's no different than an XboX vs.
PS3 flame war.

The political forums (fora?) are nothing BUT a flame war.

Do you suppose that is:

1) Because they don't discuss woodworking there?

or

2) Because they do discuss politics there?

They don't discuss anything beyond reciting their memorized
talking points there. I briefly read alt.politics but there
wasn't a thoughtful explication or an original idea to be found.
At least there's some of that here - or there was until this
thread descended into "Neener Neener"...

Let's remember how we got here, shall we. Some time ago, there was an
extended political debate here that got pretty heated. I, in particular,
got a spanking for not backing down. (FWIW, I also got private email
cheering me on by some frustrated Wreckers who were tired of the
lopsided Left-oriented patter that was the norm in those days.)

I pointed out then, and repeat now, that I make it a point to not
introduce OT topics (unless they are humorous) but I felt (and feel)
free to jump into OT chatter already-in-progress. I also affirmed my
pledge to keep it that way, and shortly thereafter the noise died away.
I continued to read the Wreck almost daily and was pleased to see that
the Usual Suspects were keeping their posts on topic for the most part.

Then Robatoy decided to slip in a political announcement complete with a
vulgar profanity *in the middle* of an on topic thread - in fact, he
inserted it in the middle of a *post* without bothering not note that he
was threadjacking (he has some aversion to marking his threads OT for
some reason). This was both cheap and inappropriate, and I responded.

I remain to staying as on topic as the group does. I note that you,
Larry, and even, these days, Tom have similarly observed this protocol.
It seems that Robatoy feels that the Wreck was getting too boring and
needed to vent his political spleen. The results speak for themselves.

As always, the Wreck will be what we want it to be ...

Tim Daneliuk

PGP Key:
http://www.tundraware.com/PGP/