Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Baltic Birch vs. Natural Birch (with poplar core) for Heavy Duty Bookcase

In article . com,
MB wrote:
Have you thought about attaching 3/4 inch angle iron to the back edge
of the shelf? It would be barely visible and it should add some
stiffnes.

IIRC the OP said that he was using a double thickness of 3/4 ply for
the shelves as well as the sides of this bookcase. Even with the 46"
shelf span I think it would take some serious weight to noticeably bow
these shelves.

I would use the regular birch shelving. Baltic birch is nice stuff to
work with and probably stronger, but I think the poplar cored 5 or 7
ply is more than up to the task. And I wouldn't worry much about the
shelf pin problem either. Drill the holes for a good, snug fit. If
you're like most once the shelf is assembled and loaded with books you
probably won't adjust the shelves again. I've come to believe that
adjustable shelves are overrated, and the last few bookcases I made
(and one of them was 9 ft tall & 4 feet wide) I used fixed shelves.
--
No dumb questions, just dumb answers.

Larry Wasserman - Baltimore, Maryland -