Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doki Doki is offline

Default Polishing bloom out of car paintwork

wrote in message
oups.com...

John wrote:
"Drake" wrote in message

I've got a red car that has developed an unusual dull bloom in the
paintwork on its roof and bonnet. I managed to cure the bonnet by
rubbing the hell out of it with Auto-Glym and then polishing it to
death - by hand. Auto-Glym was the only polishing compound that worked
properly. Other stuff like T-Cut appeared to work, but then whitish
streaks would appear after a day or so - no matter how hard I polished
it. Waxing didn't help.

I now want to tackle the roof, but I want to avoid as much of that
hard work as possible. Would it pay me to buy an electric car
polishing tool, such as http://tinyurl.com/pha83 ? Or will an
electric drill with a buffing wheel attached do just as well? If so,
does anyone know where I can buy the buffing wheel or polishing
attachments at a reasonable price?

Or would I be wiser to just let a local body shop do it for me? Anyone
know what would be a fair price to pay?

Don't know why it does it on certain red cars but it does. My mate had a
red Mitsubishi Colt that went 'pink'. I had a red Honda Civic same year
etc, that has stayed red.

Some manufacturers use a lacquer coat on their fade prone solid
colours. That may have made a difference. And just washing more
regularly with a wax added shampoo will help.

All cars are Base & Clear now.

Had a 12 year old red Peugeot 306 in the family which was sold
recently. The paintwork was as new with no special treatment.

I've got a Golf that I'm in the middle of painting (16 years old). The
paintwork's knackered because it was never washed.