Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] lairdy@gmail.com is offline

Default Only Very Occasional Hot Water From Central Heating

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
wrote:
kjhi98 wrote:
hi there all,winter's on it's way and I need to get this sorted
otherwise the Mrs will be on my back constantly giving me ear ache!

I'm only getting a very occasional flow of hot water for bathing &
washing dishes from my gas central heating,approx once every month for
about 2-3 hours only.When the water does eventually flow it flows fine
like normal.

The radiators seem to be fine & I had the boiler serviced in January
this year.As usual the plumber didn't want to hang around to sort the
hot water out for me then & he told me it's probably a faulty valve
which I could probably sort myself.

Could anyone out there enlighten me with their wisdom as I've no
knowledge whatsoever of central heating systems and can't afford to get
one of these guys in to sort it for me.

I'm curious as to how the almost total lack of hot water is only a
problem in winter ?

That aside, presumably you have a combi boiler -

For those of you new to plumbing, that is a boiler that only fires up
when the house is too cold, or when you turn a hot tap on. It then
delivers a thin trickle of hot water to maybe one tap if you are lucky. ;-)

Sadly, I've just moved house and that's what I have to put up with now.
The idea of not having storage does actually accord quite well with
the house inhabitants and their residency patterns, but sadly the
reality of a combi boiler is having to wait ages for anything. They're
hardly compatible with the idea of saving water.

Cue Drivel and his usual suggestion of doshing out enormous amounts to
replace one functional boiler for another with heat store...

--
"Never shove your granny while she's shaving."