Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Lloyd Mark Lloyd is offline

Default Air conditioner humming outside but I have shut off the breaker

On Wed, 4 Oct 2006 23:45:50 -0500, "Tim Fischer"
wrote:

"Mark Lloyd" wrote in message
news
In my house, the outside AC unit has a separate electrical connection
to the meter, and does not depend on the main panel. This normally
makes no difference since turning off the main panel would prevent the
24VAC control voltage from getting outside. I guess it could still run
if the contactor got stuck.

Around here that's a code vio -- the fire department wants a single place to
kill power in the entire building. Unless, of course, you have a shutoff
out by the meter (we don't).

-Tim

I wasn't here when the house was built (about 1969). Maybe that
electrician wanted to save some money (100A panel instead of 150A, and
a little less wire). This does provide a disconnect next to the
outside unit (the gas meter is there too). Maybe it would be better to
have it routed through the main panel (although that would require a
larger panel). I suppose it would be expensive (If I did have it done,
it could be time to add AFCI breakers).

Inside, I have a 100A main breaker, 11 20A 120V breakers, and 3 30A
double-pole breakers (stovetop, oven, dryer). All control things
other than the A/C which has a 50A double-pole breaker outside (and
another thing, the unit says not to use more than a 30A breaker).

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"Properly read, the Bible is the most potent
force for atheism ever conceived." -- Isaac Asimov