Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] goldenmike4393@yahoo.com is offline

Default ELECTRIC PANEL

I had trouble understanding why the electrical contractor quoted me
$1,000 for the electrical service panel and $1,000 labor to install.

I recall an electrical service panel runs a couple of hundred. So, why
is there an $800 markup?

chuckster wrote:
HUGE TIP!!!! Call a licensed electrical contractor! This job is WAY
over your head and "modifying" breakers is a violation of the NEC and
the breaker may not work properly after you do this. The "counter guy"
may have good intensions BUT he is behind the counter to sell materials
and he is there because he doesn't have the skills or education to make
it in the trade. The best advice is to change the panel. The "fancy
electrician" is qualified and insured. Wiring is no hobby, your loss
may be more than just financial. Call another "fancy electrician" for a
price.

wrote:
I have learned a lot and done many projecting taking your tips from
this group.

I have a new problem but it's really rather OLD. I have a 2040
Sylvania Panel. The lower right hand metal clip including finger 200
amp has burned out. I need a $10 part, but cannot get it because
Sylvania has gone out of the business of electric panels.

I had a fancy electrician come out and quote me $1,500 for the panel
plus installation, so around $2,000. Of course, you guys have taught me
better than that. He also launched a serious of thinly disguised
threats like "you only have 110 now" and "I won't be able to come back
for several weeks and it must be done now." I managed not to break out
in laughter. He sure was pushing for a big payday.

So, I called my local electric supply that told me they could modify a
$10 clip and get us back up. So, following in your teachings, I lined
up a guy with the $10 clip plus a full panel with breakers ($250) so we
can meet either contingency.

Do you have any suggestions outside of what I have done? I researched
your posts before taking this action.

GM