Posted to rec.woodworking

Default OT Completely!!! Spanish? Que?

On Thu, 05 Oct 2006 07:34:32 GMT, Bob Martin wrote:

in 1319439 20061005 050831 Mark & Juanita wrote:

ĦQue viva assembler!

He said 30 or 50, not 300 or 500. ;-)

In my 360 days I could solve a problem faster in assembler than could a colleague in PL/1.
And the resulting program ran 10 times faster.

My first assignment out of college was writing TI-9900 Assembly code for
embedded test equipment control. My last contribution to that assignment
was the hardware and software design for a specific test box; so I do
understand the speed efficiency and the ability to do device control
quickly. However, after becoming an analyst and systems engineer, I have
decided that speed of execution for many applications is way low in
importance relative to speed of coding. For example, at a higher level
than even Fortran or C, how long do you think it would take to program the
following in assembly code?

fid = fopen(filename, 'r');
y = fread(fid);
fclose(fid);

x = length(y);

figure(1);
plot(x, y, '-xr');
title('Data Plot');
xlabel('Data Point Number');
ylabel('Data');

After doing that, I decided I really don't like writing "for" loops