Posted to rec.woodworking
J T J T is offline

Default Shepherd crook

Wed, Oct 4, 2006, 8:30pm (EDT+4)
(Tim*W) doth burbeleth:
I looked it up in a book snip Laminating is not a traditional method
and would be comparitively laborious. snip
Heat to bend the hook of a walking stick.
Growing ash saplings with weights and formers to make them grow the
right shape.
And particularly for larger crooks - you find a long thin branch growing
from a much thicker one, and cut out from the tree the whole piece, so
that you have a shape a bit like an enormous tobacco pipe. From the
'bowl' of the pipe you saw and then whittle and carve the hook of the
crook.
Ask me if I am not making it clear

Wow. OK, laminating isn't traditional, so? But I don't see it as
laborious, only a bit time consuming.

Using heat sounds like you're going to go thru a lot of sticks
practicing before you get it right.

Growing ash saplings with weights and formers to make them grow the
right shape? Now that laborious, and not only that, very time
consuming.

And lastly: "find a long thin branch growing from a much thicker
one, etc., etc., etc.". I've got a bit over an acre, pretty thick with
trees. I don't see any out there that meets that standard. And even if
one did I'm damned if I'd let anyone chop up one of my trees for it.
Sounds pretty labor intense too.

You'll have to get your answer on how clear you were from the OP.
Me, first choice would be not to have goats; second, make a first class
BBQ cooker; three, shoot the goats; four, have a large BBQ; five,
laminate a crook. I think that's the right order.

JOAT
It's not hard, if you get your mind right.
- Granny Weatherwax