Posted to misc.consumers.house,misc.invest.real-estate
John Mianowski John Mianowski is offline

Default Do I need an attorney? Please advise!

Elle wrote:
"John Mianowski" wrote
wrote:
I am about to begin the closing on a new home purchase. A
friend of
mine who has closed on 3 properties in the past is
recommending that I
dont waste any money on an attorney, as he will be happy
to go over the
numbers for me.

This is a brand new development and we used a standard
contract
downloadable from the MLS website.

Does anyone think it would be a big risk not getting
representation?

Thanks.

The fact that you're asking the question in the 1st place
suggests that
the answer is "Yes".

Baloney.

Allow me to expand a bit: The OP clearly did not tell the whole story
in a 7-line post, nor should he be expected to. The fact that the OP
is asking this question in the 1st place suggests that, in his "gut",
something doesn't feel right. I'd recommend to anybody that they go
with their "gut".

Also, free legal advice from "...a friend who has closed on 3
properties in the past..." is often worth a lot less than what you pay
for it. What recourse do you have against the friend if he steers you
wrong? Most states don't have a "friends' victims recovery fund".

Care to expand on "Baloney", Elle?

JM