Posted to alt.home.repair
Tazz Tazz is offline

Default doing some electrical work

"Code says you have 2 choices for bathrooms.

#1: You can run a single 20amp circuit to feed the outlets (and only
the outlets) in all bathrooms. In this case you could use 1 gfci in
the first location, and protect the other outlets from it. The
downfall to this is that if you trip a gfci in the downstairs, and you
are in the upstairs bathroom, you have to run downstair to reset it.

#2: You can run a single 20amp circuit to feed everything in one
bathroom only (outlets, lights, fans etc...), and not use that circuit
in any other room. Since there is alot more hair dryers, curling
irons etc being used these days, it makes more sense to run 1 circuit
for each bathroom, and install a gfci in each required location, next
to the basin. "

reference...

http://experts.about.com/q/Electrica...tisfy-code.htm

The circuit that enters the bathroom goes to the switch first or the
light fixture.? Receptacle first.,?

If it goes to the light fixture then you would need two wires and a
ground from the light to the switch. The two wires would be a hot and
a switch leg.

If the circuit comes in the bathroom and goes to the switch first.
Then you would need 3 wires and a ground from the switch to the Light
fixture.
1 wire to operate the light. 1 to keep the receptacle hot all the time
the neutral and the ground.

Marty

I am trying to fix up my mom's bathroom. Currently she has a
fluorescent light on the wall with an outlet in the light fixture. I
want to replace this light by adding a GFCI outlet then connecting a
switch to the outlet that leads to a new light fixture. Would I simply
add the new outlet from the wires originally going into the light, run
a wire from the outlet to the switch, and then a wire to the new light
fixture. I have done some electric work in the past, but never really
rewired things. Any suggestions. Thanks again.