Posted to alt.home.repair
tcl tcl is offline

Default electric water heater headache

Mark wrote:

Here was what I did. Fist I flip the main circuit breaker to cut
off electric power to the water heater. Open both upper and lower
access panels on the heater
1) removed one of the wire connecting to the heating element and
then tested the resistance in between the two probes. My
multi-meter read 10 ohms on both heating elements. So I
concluded that the heating elements are good.
2) I measured the resistance in between the two probes (the two
bolts where wires were connected) on the lower thermostat, and
it read zero. So I concluded that the lower thermostat is good.
3) I did not know how to test the upper thermostat for there are
so many probes...

Good start...

I assume this is a 220 Volt system...

in which case you should also check the heating elements for shorts to
ground...

Use your ohmmeter to check for an undesried connection from each
heating element input terminal the the grounded metal housing... that
would be an undesried short and would cause the element to draw current
all the time.

BE SURE THE POWER IS OFF WHEN DOING THESE TESTS

Mark

Thanks for the advice..
The upper thermostat on my electric water heater looks exactly like
this one
http://www.plumbingworld.com/images/thermostat-el15.jpg
available online.

Since all those thermostats out there are pretty much generic type.
And such generic thermostats are so much cheaper than the ones
sold by the manufacturer. I dont really mind to replace both the
upper and the lowe thermostats just to be safe.

The question is, can I do that (i.e. replace both thermostats by
generic ones)? Again one vender told me that the thermostats
they sell (American Water Heater brand) for dual heating elements
(upper thermostst w/ high temp limit) is specifically wired for
non-simultaneous operations. How do I know it is good as
a replacement for my water heater? Do I have to contact
Maytag and ask if my water heater is wired for non-simultaneous
operations. Again, trying to call Maytag customer service is
a pain...

If replecement thermostats are so specific for each brand, why there
are so many generic, universal thermostats for electric watyer heaters?

Ted