Posted to uk.d-i-y
naffer naffer is offline

Default Turning back on Water Co's tap (legitamely)

Thanks for the answers. But I'm none the wiser.

Could it be that each Water Co. does it differently?

I am sure that ours has a device that latches when turning
off and slips when turning back on.

I had a v good look at it having un-screwed the head.

I found that the head which you turn has an underside with
lugs that are a bit like those metal screws that you can't
unscrew for good reason.

Wedge shaped lugs engage the lower part of the tap,
90 degs one way (off) and a long slope the other that unscrews what
looks like a wood-screw holding the head down so that it won't engage
and open the valve.

So, any more ideas?