Posted to alt.home.repair
George George is offline

Default Question: wood pallet for shed floor?

PaPaPeng wrote:
I have a 10 ft x 12 ft metal garden shed to be assembled. The ground
is sloped and I had graded it to level, somewhat like a wedge of dirt
where the shed will be. I will need something to anchor the shed to
the ground. The thought came up that perhaps I can join a few wood
pallets to form a base on which to nail down a plywood floor. Then
build the shed on that. How resistant to rot will the pallet wood be?
The mound will never have any standing water. Where I am is too cold
for termites. I have some old pallets that have been out in the
backyard for the last 8 years. They look a kind of weathered greyish
but no rot. Any precautions I should consider?

They sell a floor kit for all the metal sheds I've seen, I'd buy one of
those, put pressure treated plywood on it and set the whole thing on
concrete blocks.
The pallets WILL rot.
The pallets WILL NOT make a truly flat and stable foundation for the
shed.

I've found it to be easier and less expensive to do things right the
first time.

Just my opinion.

ps. Termites got jackets,.... just so you know.