Posted to alt.electronics
PeterD PeterD is offline

Default Periodic transformer failure

On Wed, 4 Oct 2006 22:58:26 -0400, "vMike"
wrote:

I have a 120v to 24vac transformer for a lawn sprinkler system that has
failed about 3 times since I purchased the house. This time I took the
windings apart and found the break in the 120v winding. I live in a
lightening prone area. Is this failure most likely from power surges or is
there some other possible cause.

Thanks.

Mike

It helps to ask a clear question... g

Let's say lightning. Then a surge strip might be a good idea.

Let's say 'bad engineering'. THen a better transformer might be a good
idea.

When off how warm/hot does it get?

(There should be little or no heat from an unloaded transformer)

When on how warm/hot does it get?

(the temperature rise should not exceed the point where you cannot put
your hand on it without saying: "OUCH" damn, that's hot.)

Also check your line voltage adn the specified voltage of the
transformer: do they match, or is the transformer rated for a lower
line voltage (bad).