Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike Mike is offline

Default Craftsman router

What is the failure mode? My cheapie Craftsman stopped running one day
about 4 years ago, and I was able to fix it by removing the top cover
and reattaching the wire that had come loose.

The first one just stopped working. I took it apart and tried to
isolate a bad connection or switch but couldn't locate the problem -
then as I dug further into the router, I opened part of the case that
held all of the springs and such for the plunge mechanisim. BOING!!
Little parts everywhere. Humpty Dumpty.

The most recent one has a shaft lock slider that seems to cut the power
when depressed. Something in that electrical cutoff is bad because it
will only run if I press up on the slider - which makes it kind of
difficult to concentrate on the work at hand. I will try to fix this
one, but I'm still going to start looking for a decent quality router
setup - it is just so frustrating to have to stop working and fiddle
around with crappy equipment.

Mike