Posted to rec.woodworking
jk jk is offline

Default Re-Post Need Advice "Sanding Between Coats?"

Built some railings for my deck. Railings are mahogany hand
rail/nailing strips and bottom rail. Balusters are KD Doug Fir. Must
say the whole thing came out pretty sweet. I treated the mahogany
elements with two coats of Cabot's ATO then a coat of the GF Outdoor
Oil. Looks excellent. I am wondering if I should lightly sand the
railings with some 220 grit paper before putting on another coat of the

oil. The can says nothing about sanding between coats. Checked the GF
website, nothing there either. The dried coating looks a lot like poly
or shellac. With all the labor I put into these I really don't mind
another step or two. Advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
John