Tony

Default Guns on Planes

Yeah, with that logic we should get rid of all the lifejackets on the plane
too. If you can't be 100% sure that a plane won't end up in the drink on a
overwater flight, that must be an implication of inadequate design or
maintainence of aircraft.
:^)

Tony

"Mark Rand" wrote in message
On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 08:17:42 GMT, Gunner wrote:

I'm watching the rather entertaining show "Myth Busters" where they try

to prove
or disprove urban legends.

Tonight they decided to see if planes really decompress explosively if a

handgun
is fired through the skin or a window. They took a derelict airliner

and pumped
the internal pressure to 8psi. Then they rigged a Sig 9mm pistol to

fire
remotely [using a soda vending machine mechanism]. They fired through

the
fuselage and through a cabin window. Neither caused explosive

decompression.

Gee, I guess those British airline pilots who don't want armed COPS on

board
look every bit as much the idiots they sound.

Not in the least. The captain of an aircraft or ship is the one in charge

and
what he says goes. My preference would be to ban landing rights to any
aircraft which had an armed individual on board on the basis that there

was an
implication of inadequate airport security. Remember that the 9/11 flights
were internal US flights. had they been british internal or international
flights, it is highly unlikely that the weapons would have got on board.

Having one or two armed guys on a plane is a **** poor way of stopping

half a
dozen armed guys taking it over.

Mark Rand