Posted to alt.home.repair
jackson jackson is offline

Default Heat Won't Shut Off

"RBM" rbm2(remove wrote in message
Beyond the electrical possibilities that Ed described, it could be
plumbing. If you have a coil in the boiler for hot water, and two
circulator pumps for the heat zones, you'll also have flow check valves
which can leak hot water through the line. You may have zone valves in the
system, which can stick in the open position and cause hot water to leak
through

Since the furnace won't fire unless something is calling for heat/hot water
you can probably rule out the zone valve or check valves, correct? Could be
thermostat or the controlller on the furnace maybe....? Do you have a
presuure gauge and is it showing a higher pressure then normal? Anything
leaking from expansion tank(s) or relief valve(s)?

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello all,

I have an older boiler and both downstairs and upstairs thermostats are
set to 60. However, the thermostat reads just a tick under 80. The
pipes/radiators feel very warm. Is there anything I can do to correct
this, short of turning off the boiler? I would like to get this
working properly myself, but do I need to call a professional?