Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Morse Morse is offline

Default Harddisk motion detection?

"William R. Walsh" m
wrote in message news:ceIUg.89757$aJ.137@attbi_s21...
Hi!

Is it possible that inside certain harddisks motion detectors are placed?

Anything is always possible. But I doubt that there is any such thing in a
desktop hard drive. Laptop drives may have such circuitry in place.

Based on some drives that I've worked with over time, I'd say what you're
seeing is likely a result of the spindle motor somehow changing speed
slightly as you move it. The drive's controlling electronics can monitor
the
RPM of this motor and may shut the drive down if enough of a change is
detected. The motor may be getting ready to fail or it may have worn
bearings that allow a significant RPM change when you move it.

Seconded.

Morse