Posted to rec.food.equipment,alt.food.barbecue,rec.food.cooking,nyc.food,misc.consumers.house
aem aem is offline

Default Is It the 21st Century Yet??

wrote:
I'm having the damnedest luck researching this, and I don't know why.
Maybe it's just not made??

Don't forget to include in your research the hazards of using gas or
charcoal grills indoors. Include "carbon monoxide poisoning" in your
search. People die every winter from using gas and charcoal indoors
with too little ventilation. The "industrial strength fan" you mention
may or may not be enough.

I want to grill my own steaks. At home. On a table. That's all!

I'd go for the pan broiling technique instead. Use a cast iron
skillet, or better yet get one of those cast iron skillets with ridges.
Get it quite hot, sear the steak for a minute or two on each side
until it takes on a nice dark color, then turn the heat way down and
let it finish cooking. Remove the steak(s) to a plate and make a fast
pan sauce: turn the heat back up, toss in some minced shallots,
deglaze with a splash of wine (or vermouth or madeira or whisky) or
stock, finish with a good chunk of cold butter stirred in. This is so
good I do it even in the summertime as a change from the outdoor grill.
-aem