Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking,nyc.food,misc.consumers.house
Donald Tsang Donald Tsang is offline

Default Is It the 21st Century Yet??

wrote:
I want to grill my own steaks. At home. On a table. That's all!

But electric doesn't seem to really do the job, on account of the low
temperatures. So gas seems the way to go. But, heck, where are these
things?? Doesn't anyone make a simple gas grill that sits on the table
or counter top and can be used indoors? Okay, so I need ventilation:
I'll leave the window open and have a fan blowing.

I tried looking and looking but no one seems to make such a thing! I
just need to directly cook over flames in an apartment, and I can't buy
some huge fancy restaurant-grade contraption.

The butane-powered grills you find at Asian grocery stores work fine.
We make Shanghai Hot Pot on them all the time. Apparently, they're
officially known as "camp" stoves, "for use outdoors". Bah.

The adiabatic expansion of the butane as it leaves the pressurized
cannister (a dollar or two a can; each can lasts half an hour to an hour,
depending on how hot you're cooking) cools the can down, so when you
take the can out, it's like 35-40 degrees F. The entire bottom part
of the stove is similarly cool. Totally safe indoors, as long as your
ventilation is sufficient.

If you can't find any locally, search for "butane portable stove" on
froogle or something. You should be able to get one for $20 or less,
shipped. Sporting goods stores should have the fuel (liquefied butane
cannisters), if you can't find them at Asian supermarkets or restaurant
supply stores.

Donald