Posted to alt.home.repair
HotRod HotRod is offline

Default refinishing 80 yr old fir floors

If this is an old floor in an old house leave some of the character there.
I'm in the process of doing a 150 year old victorian that has fir floors and
I'm going to keep some of the blemishes, I've filled the holes with plugs
that I cut, nothing fancy and will not be putting filler between the cracks,
it's part of the look and feel. Just smooth them out and stain.

"glassartist" wrote in message
news:c1ef6beaca2c63257ebebdb89916619a@homerepairli ve.com...
I am refinishing 80 year old fir floors. There are some bruises that are
quite pronounced and round (probably from furniture feet, like beds). I've
done a lot of reading and I've tried things I've thought of, but so far
they resist most of my efforts.

Read: sand 45° with coarse grit rotating 90° until gone then finish with
grain.

Result: I seem to be using a lot of good floor to get rid of blemishes. It
seems it would be better to address each blemish on its own or I'll loose
a lot of my boards' depth.

My thoughts: using heat gun remove most of the shellac/varnish and then
it's easier to hand sand, but it makes a hollow.

Question: Can I fill the hollows with a "filler"? Can I mix a filler using
my sanding sawdust? Is there a commercial product that will finish like
the rest of the floor after I stain it all?

TIA