Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] dingbat@codesmiths.com is offline

Default Scraper Plane Results Question

wrote:

I have read in an article that some people can obtain a "glass-like"
finish using a scraper plane

I wouldn't say "glass like", but then it's not set up that way. My #12
gives a better finish that my #112, but a #80 (with a thicker blade)
beats either. I use my #112 for stock removal on awkward timber, not
for final finishing. It beats a #5 though, and all except just one of
my #4s or a Norris on softer less-tearout prone timbers. For the
"ultimate" finish though I prefer one of my Steve Knights -- it's not
"glass like", it's "timber like". I don't really _want_ a dead and
glassy finish on it.

If you're having trouble with scrapers (hand or planes) then get a copy
of Leonard Lee's sharpening book, the Garret Hack plane book or many
others, a decent scraper of nice thick good quality scraper steel, and
a nice burnisher with a real handle on it. Then practice putting edges
onto scrapers - that's the knack of it.