Posted to alt.home.repair
Chris Lewis Chris Lewis is offline

Default Basement Watchdog redundant battery backed sump pump- thumbs up

According to Doug Miller :
In article , "John Gilmer"
wrote:

Well, how much was paid for the "emergency" sump pump?

If he has the same one I do... about two hundred bucks.

How much to replace a freezer/ice box full of food.

Irrelevant -- those will survive power outages of several hours completely
intact. Ten minutes without power to a sump pump in a finished basement could
be catastrophic.

During the great ice storm, we lost power for 30 hours. The freezer
contents were still perfectly frozen.

The battery power required to run fridge+freezer for 30 hours
is a lot more than $1000.

And if your batteries run down in a prolonged outage, how do you
recharge them? Putting them in your vehicle isn't enough - you can't
keep up with those loads.

UPS has its place in emergencies - we have several. But powering
standard fridges/freezers isn't one of them.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est