Posted to alt.home.repair
Dan_Musicant Dan_Musicant is offline

Default Coordinating repairs on old house

On Wed, 04 Oct 2006 04:18:21 GMT, Wayne Whitney
wrote:

:On 2006-10-04, Dan_Musicant wrote:
:
: Yes, I'm not sure how viable that plaster is. Of course, assuming
: the lath is solid, the old plaster could be removed and new plaster
: applied to the old lath. It seems to me that would be easier and
: cheaper than removing all the lath and installing blueboard and
: applying veneer plaster.
:
:I'm not sure that's true. Veneer plaster is a one or two coast
rocess, 1/8" to 1/4" thick, while plaster over lath will be quite a
:bit thicker. The extra material and labor to install it may match the
:cost of replacing the wood lath with gympsum board plaster base.
:
: I take it DWV refers to drainage/sewer stuff.
:
WV = drain/waste/vent.
:
:Cheers, Wayne

Thanks. I just looked up DWV, yep. You may be right about the veneer
plaster over blueboard. I think that once I got good at it, I would see
the advantage over 2 or 3 coat plaster systems. There would be a LOT
less plastering, and it would probably go a lot faster all in all. I
don't think the cost difference would be a major factor, either. I made
a lot of calls a month or so ago and see that Truitt and White does sell
blueboard.

Dan