Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.woodturning
Greg G. Greg G. is offline

Default Review Update: Delta 16" VS Lathe - PM/Jet VFD Info (long)

Morris Dovey said:

DGG (in ) said:

| The Delta VFD controller, as well as the PM/Jet, are VFD-S series
| controllers. Mostly standard, off the shelf products. For example,
| the unit used on the Delta is based on the VFD015S21A/B controller.

It's an extremely capable and flexible controller. I have one driving
the spindle on my ShopBot. Did you get the manual containing all of
the register/parameter info?

Yep, sure did. Devoted an hour last night reading the 200 pages of
mostly well presented and detailed info, and much of the time was
spent shaking my head as to why Delta didn't utilize/allow to be
utilized more of it's inherent features. (i.e.: They've set P2-00~04
and/or P4-04~08 to ignore all of the Multi-Function Inputs.) Or why,
in spite of the harmonics present in the motor feed, they chose to run
the brake resistor wires parallel to and through the same grommet as
the motor supply wiring - which may be a source of erratic behavior.

Now I'm trying to figure out what I did with the old homebrew
RS-232/RS-485 interface converter. Apparently haven't used it since
December 17, 1987 - when it all became moot. It's probably ashes at
this point. Found a box of old Heathkit computer main boards I need
to toss, however. Now I get to paint siding. Big Sigh...

Greg G.