Posted to comp.arch.embedded,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.repair
Mike Monett Mike Monett is offline

Default Yet another reason to avoid PartMiner

Gene S. Berkowitz wrote:

In most cases, our SMT boards are not economical to
repair; the labor cost of removing one PLCC package, or God forbid, a
BGA, very rapidly approaches our cost for a new, fully populated and
tested PCB from our turnkey vendor.

It's cheaper and easier to shred the entire product, case & all, skim
the plastics off to make park benches, and throw the rest in the
crucible and separate out any metals of value.

--Gene

Just out of curiosity, Gene, do you do any failure analysis to determine
the cause before shredding the evidence?

Regards,

Mike Monett

Antiviral, Antibacterial Silver Solution:
http://silversol.freewebpage.org/index.htm
SPICE Analysis of Crystal Oscillators:
http://silversol.freewebpage.org/spice/xtal/clapp.htm
Noise-Rejecting Wideband Sampler: