Posted to uk.d-i-y
sm_jamieson sm_jamieson is offline

Default double glazed window markup

Lobster wrote:
sm_jamieson wrote:

I got some quotes for a PVCu double glazed window, 900mm wide, 1350mm
high, upper 350mm section arched, lower 1000mm section split
vertically with opening light on one side. Quotes were minimum 800 quid
(several over 1000 - but those included fitting). Several of them said
"oh, an arched window, suck through teeth, that'll be expensive,
etc."
So I thought take out the middle man. A PVCu frame to my spec, good
fittings etc, 162+VAT, glass around 80quid+VAT. So I save hundreds.
Thats a massive markup for the window "assemblers" - just putting the
glass in is all they do.
I think I'll always order frame/glass separate in the future -
sometimes you even have to take out the glass to fit it ! How mad is

That all sounds very odd. When I order uPVC windows from my local
fabricator, I know from the price I get it would make no difference
whether I ordered the glass and frame together or separately. Never
ordered an arch though.

What sort of places are you going to? (The ones I use make up the
frames and sealed units from scratch on site, not just assemble them).

(And I've never fitted a window with the glass already in place - would
hate to have to do that, for the weight, fragility and unwieldiness.)

David

Just phoned out of yellow pages. I had to phone because the web
estimaters did not cater for arches. It seemed as if they had to "send
away" for the arch (don't know why, loads of front doors have them).
For normal square windows, the price was not a lot more "assembled"
than separate. The arch seemed to make the difference.
Maybe I'll have to look a bit harder to find a local "fabricator".
Simon.