Posted to alt.home.repair
BobK207 BobK207 is offline

Default What type of wire and How to hang a heavy mirror?

BobK207 wrote:
Colbyt wrote:
"Tim Fischer" wrote in message
. ..

I'm not denying your way is better. As far as I know, the wire on our
mirror is FROM the manufacturer, though. It's reasonably old (at least 25
years, probably more). Hasn't fallen in all that time, anyway...

If I were sleeping over the thing, I'd probably screw it through the frame
into the studs grin

Hey Tim,

A true story about when I became so passionate on the subject.

Hanging a mirror for a client, I said , "I'm not sure we should hang this
mirror on this wire".

"It hung just fine in my last two houses and in my Grandmother's house
before that", was the reply.

Hung the damn thing, walked into the other room and heard a thud,whap, bang.
The wire broke, the mirror hit the mantle, bounced off, hit the back of a
leather couch and landed on the carpet. Total damage was a scuff mark on
the back of the couch.

Never again will I be that lucky.

Colbyt

Wow! Better to be lucky than good! You must have used up a whole of
luck on that day.

Anyway.......gentlemen, when those of you who are for or against
hanging heavy oblects with "wire"......

Do some of you mean single strand wire? Do some of you mean
multi-strand braided or twisted aire? kind like pseudo-wire rope?

I have no problem using muti-strand steel wire to hand large pictures
or mirrors. As long as the mounting locations & the wire length are
such that large additional forces are not applied to the wire.

I would never use single strand wire.

The fact that some objects come with a mfr's CYA notice really doesn't
hold much water as to whether "wire" is safe or not.

It is just that...... a CYA because the mfr has no control over what
type of wire will be used, what size & how it will be installed.

Multi-stand wire is plenty safe when sized & installed correctly.

cheers
Bob

fya-

http://www.bearwood.com/P14.htm

http://www.bearwood.com/shop/searchr...ture%5FHangers

On heavy items I use a 2 or 3 hole strap hanger & multistrand wre

I doubt if the mirror in this thread weighs more than 50 pounds so a 2
hole hanger and 100 pound wire (allowable wire capacity) would be more
than enough.

I like to use coated 1/16" wire rope (aircraft cable)

cheers
Bob