Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan Joseph Meehan is offline

Default Air conditioner humming outside but I have shut off the breaker

wrote:
Hi,

I went out into the yard this evening and heard my air conditioner
humming. The unit hasnt worked properly since we had a major power
outage and so the only way to turn it on or off is at the breaker. I
removed the wires going into the breaker but the unit is still
humming. I openned the unit and the only power wires I can see are the
black/white/ground. It is a very old sears model and I cant find any
other shut off switch. What's going on!! Should I be concerned about
the humming and if so, how can I completely remove the power to the
unit without getting an electrician involved. I even tried going
breaker by breaker to see if there was a wire touching but nothing
stopped the humming

Thanks

You apparently did not shut off the right breaker. Remember that your
furnace is not likely on the same breaker as the A/C unit. The A/C unit
should have a 220V breaker and there should be a shutoff in the immediate
area of the unit.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit