Posted to alt.home.repair
Dan_Musicant Dan_Musicant is offline

Default Coordinating repairs on old house

On Mon, 02 Oct 2006 22:26:31 GMT, Wayne Whitney
wrote:

:On 2006-10-01, Joshua Putnam wrote:
:
: I've been going through the same thing with a 1901-or-so (records
: disagree) 1600 square foot 2-story in Washington State. Obviously
: construction costs differ regionally, but even so, it cost us less
: than $20,000 to jack up the house, have the old foundation torn out,
: and install a new foundation that exceeds seismic codes for Alaska
: and California.
:
:A 1600 square foot 2-story has a footprint of 800 square feet, which
:is maybe 25 by 32, for a perimeter of 116 feet, call it 120 and it's
:$166/foot. Sounds like a good price, I think costs are a bit higher
:here in California, maybe $200/foot, not sure lately.
:
:Cheers, Wayne

In my case the costs associated with a foundation removal/replacement
will be higher because of the necessity of first removing all the brick
(3 sides of the bottom floor) and stone (the other side of the first
floor), and the subsequent installation of new siding of some kind. That
factored into the figures I stated. The two bids I've gotten included
all that.

Dan