Posted to alt.home.repair
Dan_Musicant Dan_Musicant is offline

Default Coordinating repairs on old house

On Mon, 02 Oct 2006 22:23:39 GMT, Wayne Whitney
wrote:

:On 2006-10-01, Dan_Musicant wrote:
:
: I'll need a lot more than replacement sill plates. They have to jack up
: the house, remove the current foundation, excavate for a new foundation,
: place rebar and pour concrete. Then new sill plates, lower house and
: bolt to the foundation.
:
:In my case, a single story house with a crawl space, the way my
:foundation contractor replaced the foundation didn't involve any
:jacking or moving the house. The floor joists were independently
:supported on two long beams sitting on cribbing inside and outside the
:crawl space. Then the existing foundation was demolished, leaving a
:trench for worker access. The sill plate was replaced and nailed into
:the cripple studs from below, and the form work and bolts for the new
:stem wall were hung from the new sill plate and the existing cripple
:wall, respectively. Of course the cavity between the forms was thick
:with rebar. The inverted T-shape foundation was done in a single
our, with the footing portion just poured against the earth the width
f the trench. After the pour, the forms were stripped, the drainage
:system was installed on the outside, and the trench was filled.
:
:Cheers, Wayne

Yes, when I said the house would be jacked up, I really didn't mean that
they would elevate it, just that it would be supported by jacks until
support beams (2 parallel, possibly 3, I'm not sure) could be placed and
the house _lowered_ down from the jacks onto the beams. It would rest
there until the foundation was poured and ready for attachment,
presumably to be lowered a tad in the process. Thanks, Wayne.

Dan