Posted to rec.woodworking
RicodJour RicodJour is offline

Default Sonar Tape Measures

Mike Marlow wrote:
wrote in message

I am looking to buy a sonar tape measure to measure my house. I have
three in mind:

1.)Craftsman Laser Guided Measuring Tool - Mfr. model #LM04CN
2.)Black & Decker Sonic Measurer - BDSM100
3.)Ryobi Measure Tech Plus Stud Sensor & Sonic Tape Measure - Model
EMTP006

Does anybody have any knowlege of any of these? Are any of them good?
Thanks

Neither of those names is really known for quality tools in that class of
tool. These are gadget tools anyway. They don't serve any real purpose
other than to attract the eye. Save yourself the money and just go buy a
good 25' or 30' steel tape. You're only measuring your house after all.
There's nothing in that job that requires sonar anything.

I agree with the general sentiment about the lower end tools of that
sort. Probably not worth the money. Not so sure about the last part,
though.

20 years ago many people would have said the same thing about laser
levels. I can't imagine not having one now. I picked up the Hilti
PD30 Laser Range Meter at the Borg the other day. The thing is a small
brick, seems stoutly made, and it has some pretty impressive specs.
Next excuse I can dream up...