Posted to rec.woodworking
Gerald Ross Gerald Ross is offline

Default Shepherd crook

Terrence J Smith wrote:
Guys:
This maybe off topic, but I need to make a better shepherds crook. Ones I
have purchased are worthless after about a year as the 'crook' opens up and
makes it impossible to catch a goat (I raise meat goats).
The purchased variety are made of oak and seem to be steam bent.
My thoughts a
- Steam bend one myself. Would using green wood, maybe ash, make the bend
more permanent?
- Make the bend with thin strips and epoxy (a laminate).

Long ago and far away I knew an old man who made walking sticks. He took
a green stick and bent it around and wired it and stuck it in the attic
of his shop. The next year he took it down, and if it was not cracked,
cut and trimmed and finished the stick.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA