Posted to rec.woodworking
J. Clarke J. Clarke is offline

Default Another Sears Radial Arm Saw Motor Problem

Just a comment, and not relevant to your problem, but if you are in the US
you might want to take a look at http://www.radialarmsawrecall.com/. If
your saw is affected it gets you a new blade guard and table, for free.

wrote in message
ups.com...
With the help of this usenet group and additional ideas, I have
identified the problem. It indeed was a short to ground. There is
"start switch relay" that had plastic standoffs on both sides of the
relay tab as an insulation off of the frame (ground). Over the last 27
years, heat had slowly melted the 1/8" thick plastic tab to less than
1/16" of an inch until the relay tab actually fused to bracket attached
to frame ground. Voila, short! I've identified the part at a Sears
webpage. Hope to order it tomorrow, but if it's unavailable I'll
fabricate small teflon insulation "dots" and glue them to the existing
plastic.

Thank you all for the guidance and ideas,
Mike

MOP CAP wrote:
In article , Doug Miller
wrote:

What brand of receptical are you pluging it into? I had a similar
problen several years ago after some ham handed carpenters doing some
work at my house yanked theirplugs out at an angle and broke the
plastic insulating material. When you then tried to plug another cord
into the recpt. it would short and trip the breaker. The recpt's were
Hubble.

Chuck P.