Posted to uk.d-i-y
nightjar nightjar is offline

Default Motor running the wrong way

"John Rumm" wrote in message
A friend asked me to come and help him swap the motor on a small table saw
today. Anway the new motor was already in when I arrived - much the same
location as the previous one, with pullys and belt suitably set and
adjusted. So I wired it up via a NVR switch with built in adjustable
current trip, plugged it in, pushed the button, and it all sprang into
life.

Then we noticed the saw blade was going round the wrong way!

The motor is about 1.5hp I would guess looking at the size of it. It was
reclaimed from something else and hence the original plate lable is now
mostly unreadable.

I am not sure what type of motor it is, but there is no external start
capacitor visible. Also when it spins up I could not hear a click from a
centrifugal switch (not that this is any guarentee that it does not have
one).

So taking the cable entry plate off reveals six connection studs - one of
which is earth. The others are arranged thus (the letters are those marked
by each stud):

# Z # T

# S

# A # Az

The incoming mains is currently connected to A (Neutral) and Az (Phase)

In addition there are also wires that emerge from the motor body and
connect to the terminals:

A Red and Black (+ mains in Neutral)
Az Red and Red/Blue linear stripe (+ mains in phase)
S 2 of Red/Green radial stripe
Z Black and 2 of Red/Green radial stripe
T Red/Green radial stripe and White

The red and black wires have a little slack in them and look as if they
could be repositioned to alternative connection points.

Sugestions for an alternate wiring pattern to get it spinning in the other
direction?

That is why I like three phase. Every motor is guaranteed to start up in the
wrong direction, but you only have to swap any two wires to get it going the
right way.

Colin Bignell