Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Garage door opener light stays on

Liz MacDonald wrote:
It's a Stanley Premier Model 3100.14, ancient, but works fine, except
the light occasionally does not turn off after an opening or closing cycle.
Any guesses as to what is failing? If I can fix it with a soldering
iron, I will.

Liz, first guess would be it's the relay sticking 'cause if it were the
timer would more likely not still work on occasion. Also have an
ancient Stanley, don't have a clue from just the model number how close
it might be (and has also been a while since I had the case open), but
iirc, there are three(?) relays on the board, one of which controls the
light(s). Might check sometime when it's stuck "on" to see if a light
tap on that relay turns it off. Replacing the relay would likely fix
it if so. The wiring is easily accessible on mine anyway to trace
which is the proper relay. I actually don't know offhand whether the
timer circuit is something like a 555 or part of the processor, I've
never had need to investigate.

Of course, the opposite way to "fix it" is to simply take the bulb out
and forego the light (if you have other light or the time-delay off on
the car, anyway).

HTH...